Last night, I was reading a chapter from the recently updated version of Brothers, We are NOT Professionals by John Piper and came across his strategy for fighting sin. He initially began using this approach to fight lust and now uses it for anger, selfishness and every other sort of sin & temptation.
After last Sunday’s message on sanctification, I realized that I had not left you with a strategy for fighting sin in order to be more like Christ. I highly recommend John Piper’s A.N.T.H.E.M.
- Say NO! within five seconds.
- TURN to something magnificent, like Christ crucified.
- HOLD the pure thing in mind until the temptation is gone.
- ENJOY the greater pleasure of the blood-bought promises of God.
- MOVE on to meaningful Christ-exalting activity.
In fact, the whole chapter is a better-said version of what I preached. If you have access to the book, find chapter 22, “Act the Miracle,” and read it! (This chapter is only available in the new, updated version of the book.)